You (As Told By Social Media)
Social media enables us to connect with more people and catalog our lives in pictures, posts, and shares. It also may set us up for elimination in the job search process.
In a post on The Undercover Recruiter, only 27% of hiring managers don’t check out a candidate’s social media accounts. Be mindful of what you post and who can see your content: checking social media accounts has become a part of the background check process.
Reppler (www.reppler.com) conducted a survey and found that of the social media accounts that hiring managers and recruiters screen:
- 76% check Facebook
- 53% check Twitter
- 48% check LinkedIn
- 69% rejected a candidate based on what they saw
- 68% hired a candidate based on what they saw
Adjust the privacy settings on your social media accounts to keep the content you want kept private. Keep in mind these five tips when it comes to your social media accounts and what you keep public:
- Post About Your Interests
- Keep It Light And Positive
- Not What You Say, But How You Say It
- Base Your Content On Things That Make You Different
- Keep It Legal